Director of Lifespan Religious Education Job Description
The Director of Lifespan Religious Education, hereinafter referred to as DLRE, reports to the
Lead Minister, and works in collaboration with the Youth Religious Education Committee, Adult
Religious Education Committee, the Assistant Minister, and supervises the Religious Education
1. Coordinates the development and implementation of Lifespan Religious Education programs for the First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Antonio. Lifespan RE includes all ages from nursery to grave.
2. Works in collaboration with the Youth Religious Education Committee and Adult Religious Education Committee to review, select, and obtain available curricula for lifespan programs.
3. In collaboration with the Lead Minister, Assistant Minister and Worship Committee, plans and coordinates Multigenerational Worship Services (up to 9 times yearly). For the weekly Wisdom Words segment of Sunday Services, either leads the presentation, recruits other presenters, or assists the Minister (s), as needed, in identifying age appropriate materials for their presentations.
4. Works closely with the Lead Minister and Assistant Minister to integrate the Lead Minister into Youth Religious Education programs.
5. The DLRE is also responsible for the annual Youth Religious Education Sunday service with the assistance of the Youth Religious Education Committee.
6. Coordinates Lifespan teacher recruitment, training and scheduling.
7. Plans and leads, with the chairs of the Youth Religious Education Committee, Youth Religious Education teacher orientation sessions.
8. Coordinates small group ministry training conducted by the Assistant Minister as well as other special training needed for Adult Religious Education programs.
9. Recruits, trains and supervises the Religious Education Assistant, RE Staff and Child Care Provider(s).
10. Obtains supplies and prepares lesson plans for weekly Youth Religious Education classes; facilitates and acts as a resource for leaders of Adult Religious Education programming.
11. Maintains registration, permission, and medical information forms for all participants in Youth Religious Education and Youth activities. Also assists in the recruitment of Youth Advisors.
12. Obtains, reviews and approves background checks on all Youth Religious Education teachers, Youth Advisors, and Child Care Providers.
13. Manages the Lifespan Religious Education budget in consultation with the Congregational Administrator and Board Treasurer and in collaboration with Youth Religious Education Committee and Adult Religious Education Committee.
14. Submits an annual report for the Congregational Meeting.
15. E-mails updates of Youth Religious Education programming to parents and Congregation as needed. Produces and maintains marketing materials for RE programming.
16. Attends staff meetings, monthly meetings of the Congregation Coordinating Team, Youth Religious Education Committee, Adult Religious Education Committee, Youth Adult Committee, Congregational Meetings, and other annual events such as Leadership Bridging.
17. Serves as an ex-officio member of the Youth Adult Committee (YAC) and works closely with the Chair to facilitate resolution of youth issues.
18. Confers with Staff and/or Administrators of the San Antonio Area Foundation (for the Wade Richmond Scholarship) and with the Trustees of the Liz Garrison Foundation for their awards of annual scholarships to youth of the First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Antonio.
19. Keeps Safety Protocols updated and effective.
20. Performs other duties as assigned by the Lead Minister.
The DLRE reports to the Lead Minister, and is in a collaborative relationship with the Assistant Minister, who serves as a liaison to the Board of Trustees for the DLRE.
Annual performance reviews will be conducted by the Minister and communicated to the Board of Trustees. The Review will consider input from the Youth Religious Education Committee, the Adult Religious Education Chair(s), and the Assistant Minister, as well as input from teachers, parents, and adult learners.
Please send resume and letter of interest to Rev. Mark Skrabacz at email@example.com.