Community Responsibility Endowment Fund
Since 1982 the First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Antonio has managed and administered the Community Responsibility Endowment Fund (CREF). Each year the elected CREF Trustees award grants to support projects or activities in our local community.
- Governed by the CREF Trustee Agreement, grant award organizations/projects must meet the following criteria:
- Nominated by a church member
- Reflects the values of our church
- For charitable, religious, educational, or scientific purposes
- A project under 2 years and limited to the San Antonio Metropolitan Area
- Organizations must be 501(c)(3)
2022 CREF Award Recipients
Donate to CREF
In the fall, CREF conducts its annual fundraising drive to raise money to grow the CREF endowment and increase the amount of earnings CREF has to award for grants in future years.
However, you do not have to wait until the fall. You can donate at any time by simply Clicking Here and select “CREF”. Thank you for supporting our community philanthropy.
CREF Awards Criteria
CREF funds are administered:
- for the purpose of supporting activities and/or projects which reflect the values of the current membership of the church (such as a new program, expanding a current program, or a facilities expansion/capital investment)
- exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, or scientific purposes.
- for projects limited to the San Antonio Metropolitan Area (the project in SAMA, as is the organization)
- for projects targeted for completion under 2 years.
- to 501 (c) (3) organizations only
Organizations applying for grants will be asked to provide the following information:
- Background information: physical location and directors, mission and/or purpose, and a brief history of the organization
- Information about the activity/project: description, how it will be carried out, project costs and need for funds
- Project timeline and completion dates
- Expected project outcomes: impact on community and its betterment, specific alignment with any UU Principles
Award recipients will be required to submit an Evaluation Report the following Spring summarizing the events and/or accomplishments of the project. If the project goes extends to the second year, a second final report is expected.
Nominate an Organization
In June, CREF solicits nominations for possible grant recipients, although nominations may be made at any time throughout the year by church members. The cut-off date to submit nominations will be announced via church communications. Nominations received after the announced cut-off date, will be considered for the next year. To nominate an organization that meets the CREF criteria, complete the CREF Nomination Form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have more questions about CREF? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.