Do you feel in harmony with the values and vision of this church and want to become a member? That’s wonderful! The act of joining is a simple one and we welcome your ideas, gifts, and talents.
Tell us about yourself. Complete the Membership Interest Form so we can get to know you (and your family) a little bit better.
Learn about us. Attend our new member class, First UU 101, to learn more about the church and about Unitarian Universalism. Classes are held every second Sunday of the month at 12:15pm in the Conference room.
Make a commitment. Promise to support the church by making a responsible financial pledge and sign our membership book.
Get Involved. Attend a meeting, participate in an event, volunteer on a committee, explore more fully the possibilities that are here for you in this congregation.
Benefits of Membership
• Being part of a community. When you become a member of First UU, you become part of a growing, living institution that supports, nurtures and challenges its members to become the best they can be – and more.
• Opportunities for growth. First UU offers many social, educational and spiritual opportunities for you to deepen and grow. You can expect to be challenged in your theological and a-theological assumptions, urged to deepen your spirituality and supported in your search for community and a meaningful faith.
• Pastoral Support. Support by the minister and lay pastoral care teams, including counseling, home visits, meals, and rides.
• Rites of passage. Marriage and memorial services at no cost which includes use of the Sanctuary, as well as, Minister and music services.
• Ritual of Child Dedication. The special ceremony of welcome for babies and young children offered during a worship service at least once a year.
• Religious Education for Children and Youth. From nursery to high school, our religious education programs challenge and support our young people as they develop their own spiritual and religious search.
• Adult Education. Many ongoing and shorter-term classes offer a diverse menu for you to connect and make friends with others on the way.
• A Welcoming Congregation. First UU is a Welcoming Congregation for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) persons.
• Help shape our congregation. Unitarian Universalists practice congregational polity, a system of church governance in which every local church congregation governs independently. As a member, you are able to actively participate in church leadership and vote on important issues regarding the church.
Expectations of Members
• Participate in the Life of the Church. Attend services regularly and participate in congregational meetings.
• Deepen Your Values and Spiritual Development. Attend UU classes and small groups ministries or study on your own.
• Be a Welcoming Presence. Welcome newcomers to the church formally by staffing the greeters table, or informally by being a friendly, welcoming face at church and in our community.
• Serve the Church. Share your ideas, talents and interests, which could mean singing in the choir, participating in worship, teaching a class, working on the buildings or in the grounds, being active in social justice or organizing a social event.
• Pledge and Contribute Generously. While you do not have to be a member to support the church financially, without members’ support, there would be no First UU. Members make an annual pledge, a written financial commitment that reflects their personal situation as well as what the church means to them. Then, after the pledging, comes the payment – members are expected to pay their pledge in a timely manner so the church can meet its ongoing obligations as well.